[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Squeak-Version-cbc.5132.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Feb 13 17:40:59 UTC 2018

> On 13-02-2018, at 7:29 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I did not know this :-). Very nice.  It needs to be documented.

This is pretty much the general problem for almost everything. Software is especially an issue and we are certainly no better than the rest of the industry.

Reading code tells you (assuming it is written half-decently) what actually happens, if you can make enough sense of it. But if we all spent enough time reading all the code we try to use that could actually understand what it does we’d never have time to write any new code. And mostly we’d still not have much chance of understanding what the damned stuff was *meant* to do nor what it doesn’t quite do.

Adele used to have a little saying that covers this (though a bit less effectively when nobody seems to think software should be paid for)
“If it isn’t documented then it doesn’t exist. If it doesn’t exist, what the hell did we pay you for?"

tim
M$ are grinning pigs in a sea of buggy code - The Inquirer