[squeak-dev] Instructions for updating trunk undate config

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 19:37:46 UTC 2018

Hi Eliot,

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 7:56 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>

> > On Feb 10, 2018, at 1:48 PM, Chris Cunningham <cunningham.cb at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > This one I'm going to need some help on, having never done this before
> (obviously).
> >
> > -----
> > When and How to change the trunk update configuration:
> > * When you are adding a new package to trunk, update the configuration
> with the new package (just because a package is in the repository does not
> mean it is loaded)
> > * When you are removing a package from trunk, update the configuration
> to remove the package (and follow instructions for removing the package)
> > * When methods are moved from one package to another - primarily when
> they are used in the update logic - then create an update with the package
> where the method is removed and where the method is added in the same
> update configuration
>
> That's not the safest.  The safest is to create a configuration with the
> package to which the method is moved, but still containing the version of
> the package from which the method had moved which still had the method.
> This way, the package from which the method is moved will be marked dirty
> but there is no chance of the method being lost.
>
> I wasn't sure where the conversation between you and Bert left off on this
subject.  I can certainly change this to be this way - especially since it
is safer (leaving the Bert enhancement to cover places where we weren't
aware that happened, maybe.  Although we should be aware.).

Another question: should we ALWAYS create a config when a method (or class)
moves from one package to another?

-cbc