[squeak-dev] Image conversions (was Re: Squeak Trunk V3 Update Stream)

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Fri Feb 16 01:02:13 UTC 2018

> On Feb 15, 2018, at 16:31, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 08:07:59PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>> The Squeak 2.2. Mini image is just 200 classes and 4500 methods.
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> And of course Mini Squeak 2.2 is the first image that is loaded when connecting
> wto http://try.squeak.org. It is small, fast, and has a satisfyingly retro
> aesthetic :-)
>
> But speaking of the Mini image, I think that it is supposed to be housed
> in the files.squeak.org site in the 2.2 directory. But I am getting XML parser
> errors with some sort of dire warning about font copyrights. Is there a problem
> with our ftp server?
>
> Of course there is a copy in the GitHub SqueakJS repository too, but we should
> be able to find it on files.squeak.org too.
>
> Dave

If you view source on http://files.squeak.org/2.2/ <http://files.squeak.org/2.2/>, you get something like this:
-------------
Index of /2.2/

NOTE -- TO SEE THE ENTIRETY OF THIS FILE...
Move the mouse into the rightmost part of the scrollbar, until the cursor changes to a menu-like icon.  Then click and hold down until you have selected the item, 'get entire file'.  If you then release the mouse button, you should see the entire contents of the ReadMe file.
--------------------

About Squeak in General
--------------------------------
             Squeak 2.2
    (c) 1996 Apple Computer, Inc.
     (c) 1997, 1998 Walt Disney
       ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Squeak is a work in progress based on Smalltalk-80, with which it is still reasonably compatible.  Please see the various introductory windows for more information about this particular release.

The Interpreter
Squeak includes a complete simulation of its ObjectMemory, Interpreter, and BitBlt, each of which began with the "Blue Book" spec.  The object memory is a completely new direct-pointer object model with compact headers and an incremental compacting garbage collector.  The interpreter has been worked over for efficiency, and improved handling of 32-bit LargeIntegers allows it to simulate itself at reasonable speed.  See the various class comments in the Squeak Interpreter category.  The Squeak system also includes a translator to C.  Together these can generate complete C source code for the interpreter.  If you take advantage of this capability to port the system to other platforms, we would like to hear about it.

Color graphics
Squeak's BitBlt has been retrofitted with support for variable-depth color and many performance enhancements.  It has several added functions including a paint mode that supports transparency, and an alpha-blend mode for 32-bit color.  It also has a "warp-drive" variant that will scale, rotate, and otherwise deform bitmaps in a single pass.  Interested users will want to try
	Display restoreAfter: [WarpBlt test1], and
	Display restoreAfter: [WarpBlt test3].
The warp drive is also capable of limited anti-aliasing.  You can compare the results by executing
	Display restoreAfter: [WarpBlt test12].
Two other demos of possible interest (see comments) are
	Display restoreAfter: [BitBlt alphaBlendDemo], and
	Display restoreAfter: [BitBlt antiAliasDemo].

Sound
Squeak includes base classes and some simple primitives that support real-time background generation of sound and music.  Interested users will want to try
	AbstractSound stereoBachFugue play.
Squeak also includes a MIDI file reader.  If you are connected to a network, you should try one of...
	MIDIFileReader playURLNamed:
	   'http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/Squeak2.0/midi/wtellovr.mid'.
	MIDIFileReader playURLNamed:
	   'http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/Squeak2.0/midi/toccFugueDmin.mid'.
If you're short on horsepower, you'll do better with...
	MIDIFileReader playURLNamed:
	   'http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/Squeak2.0/midi/tlmnflut.mid'.

Morphic
Morphic is a completely new graphics framework for Squeak.  Examples can be explored in the 'Play With Me' windows, or by following the accompanying Morphic scripting tutorial.  We have loaded lots of things into Morphic.  It's a little cluttered and a bit slow, but it's an architecture we like, and we'll be cleaning it up and tuning it over the next year.

Networking
This version of Squeak supports sockets.  If you are on a web-connected network, you might want to try...
	HTTPSocket httpShowGif:
		'http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/Squeak2.0/midi/Squeakers.GIF'.
There are many more examples in the Socket class.

Also included with this release is a complete WikiWiki server.  See the accompanying information on WikiWiki.

Squeak's FileList has also been extended with network access.  This feature is newly added, and will probably require a little shaking down and tuning.

Speaking of network access, we hope soon to eschew all these informational windows in favor of a simple link to a Squeak Wiki full of useful and up-to-date information about the latest release.

About Squeak 2.2
----------------------
Here is a summary of major improvements in the 2.2 release:
Continued improvements to the Morphic window system and scripting.
Three all-new network applications written entirely in Squeak
	Celeste (a mail reader by John Malone)
	Scamper (a web browser by Lex Spoon)
	IRC chat (also by Lex Spoon)
Support for looped sampled music timbres for high quality orchestral synthesis.
Piano roll display for the MIDI player, and external MIDI output.
Rejuvenated support for shrinking the Squeak system (see Image Size).
A couple of new features in the VM, including
	Better handling of delays (more accurate messageTallies)
	Support for opaque as well as transparent cursors.
	Support (on the Mac at least) for high-speed asynchronous disk I/O.
Hundreds of other bug fixes and features.

NOTE: The Comic Sans font included in this release is copyright:
—————

Maybe the html got overwritten by the file by accident.

Ken G. Brown