[squeak-dev] Raven and Squeak-E (was Re: Fw: Re: [ReviewRequest 2] Error-handling and use of `future`)

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com
Sun Feb 18 14:57:36 UTC 2018

Hi Henry,

On 02/16/2018 04:30 PM, henry wrote:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography/Raven-HenryHouse.21.mcz

This looks fascinating! I'd love to play with it, but I am having
trouble loading it into an image.

It seems to depend on at least:

 - STON
 - Cryptography

The STON dependency, if ignored, at least lets the Raven mcz load, but
during class initialization there are problems with ASN.1 and a missing
class called "PhaseHeader".

Do you have a series of steps that would let Raven load cleanly into a
fresh Trunk image?

> How did you implement promise exceptions within the extant promises? Is
> there any thoughts on integrating this implementation? It derives from
> http://Erights.org ELib, best as I knew how.

At present, Promise signals BrokenPromise when a client synchronously
waits on the result. That's the only real support there is, aside from
the recently-proposed changes to the `future` mechanism to catch
exceptions from `future` message-sends and turn them into rejected promises.

It'd be neat to harvest some of the great work that went into Squeak-E
for mainline Squeak. If not the code, than at least some of the designs.

Tony