[squeak-dev] [ANN] Erlang-style Actors for Squeak

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com
Tue Feb 20 13:55:58 UTC 2018

On 02/20/2018 01:45 PM, Kjell Godo wrote:
> So how do i connect from MoosePharo to Squeak to make use of this Actors
> for Squeak?

It's probably not directly possible.

> I have an Actors for Pharo Package loaded into Moose. Any overlap?

I'd love to see that! Can you point me to the one you mean?

> I am interested in connecting different languages or images together
>      anything spring to mind? it seems like there are a lot of ways to
> do this
>      Are there any Packages that spring to mind?
> Oh i guess Actors for Squeak doesn’t do multi images.  But maybe Raven
> can help.

Yes, Raven is a good starting point for learning about the Squeak-E line
of work on this kind of thing. There's a lot of great ideas in there.

You might be interested in the content at http://www.erights.org/, an
archive of the (now broad and deep) object-capabilities literature
stretching back several decades. It's not always organised super well,
but there is some awesome stuff to be found in there.

If you want to learn more about actors more generally, perhaps this
might be helpful: https://eighty-twenty.org/2016/10/18/actors-hopl

> The idea seems to be to show Actors interacting graphically.

I don't have any kind of graphical representation of actors yet. But it
would be fun to experiment with.

> Could this be used to show ErLang Actors interacting graphically?

Unlikely, not without a lot of work. There are already some tools for
this kind of thing in Erlang.

Tony