[squeak-dev] Survey: what do you do with Squeak, what do you *want* to do?

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Thu Feb 22 02:58:29 UTC 2018

timrowledge wrote
> What do you use Squeak for?

Inspiration. I have a lot of old code and images floating around (e.g.
Mathmorphs, Sophie, the cat with the eyes that follow the mouse) that I
think are absolutely wonderful and most have never been duplicated.

timrowledge wrote
> If you used Squeak in the past and don't now, what pulled you away?

For years, I had one foot on two different sleds (Squeak and Pharo), at
times pulling in different directions. I was spending a large chunk of my
time keeping all my projects compatible with both and eventually had to make
a choice. At that time, IIRC my choice was mostly based on the fact that it
seemed I could more easily get enhancements and cleanups integrated into
Pharo. Also the IDE tools I wanted to use seemed better supported there. As
the tools diverged more, I became locked in because I tend to heavily
customize my IDE. This has only increased; lately, I consider GT and the
other things Moose brings (e.g. Roassal) to be essential things I wouldn't
want to live without. I still follow the Squeak MLs religiously and try to
help in small ways like answering questions.

timrowledge wrote
> What would you like to be able to use Squeak for?

My dream for a long time was for Squeak and Pharo to reunite, with Pharo as
a lean, mean base system, and Squeak implementing/porting all the amazing
projects on top, like some of the ones I listed above. I realize that this
is extremely unlikely especially for political reasons, but since you asked!
;-)

-----
Cheers,
Sean