[squeak-dev] Survey: what do you do with Squeak, what do you *want* to do?

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Thu Feb 22 15:36:40 UTC 2018

Hi Tim,

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 17:36:01 -0800, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

>At the latest board meeting we got to discussing the relative quietness of the squeak list(s) recently. We were wondering what you folks out there are doing with Squeak, what you'd like to be able to use it for, the things that you think would be important to improve it for wider use and so on.

>Please, whether you're a frequent user or an occasional look-at-the-list type, take a moment to let us know your opinions.

>What do you use Squeak for?
I use Squeak for fun.  I also use Squeak when I want to write a program to run on a Raspberry
Pi.  One runs headless and uses Seaside to allow control of the Raspberry GPIO pins from a web
browser on a PC or phone.  Another that I am currently working on displays a clock on a monitor
(and screen you can use on a Raspberry).  It also uses Seaside to allow web access to the
programs settings.  The clock displays a picture as the clock face and the web access allows
you to changes many options from a browser.

>If you don't use Squeak, why not?

>If you used Squeak in the past and don't now, what pulled you away?

>What does Squeak lack that you think might make you use it for 'regular' development?

I'm too use to VA Smalltalk to change.  But if VA Smalltalk can't run on a platform, I turn to
Squeak.

>What things are too hard or annoying to do?

It would be nice to know what projects (I'm not sure that is the correct term) are needed in an
image and what isn't for a given program.  It would be nice to be able to reduce the size of an
image.  The images I put on the Raspberry run over 65MB, headless or not.  My headless VA
Smalltalk images run under 3MB and GUI images are usually under 6MB.  This obviously isn't a
deal breaker but it would be nice.

>What would you like to be able to use Squeak for?

>tim

Thanks for asking.

Lou
--