[squeak-dev] Survey: what do you do with Squeak, what do you *want* to do?

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Fri Feb 23 00:01:54 UTC 2018

> Please note that the main problem is that I don't attack the things I
> want/dislike.

Same here I guess.

> What do you use Squeak for?
> If you don't use Squeak, why not?

No Squeak software to be shipped at work. ;-) At least I have
something in VA Smalltalk to work on. But I miss Morphic halos and
keyboard shortcuts there.

> If you used Squeak in the past and don't now, what pulled you away?
> What does Squeak lack that you think might make you use it for 'regular' development?

Better integration with the OS, in my case Windows (e.g., more
flexible drag-n-drop into the image, supporting more objects than just
files and more options to handle the objects being dropped in the
image; more features in OSProcess for Windows; details like registry
editing), and/or tools that help to create bindings to APIs and
external libraries, so I would not have to do all the FFI stuff
myself. In the end, this is just the ecosystem argument restated from
a different angle. It would be nice if Squeak were more of a team
player instead of 'only' being a superior environment inside of a
nutshell.

For current business matters, an official VM for AIX would be
required, or more (willing) Smalltalkers being around for staffing.
;-)

> What things are too hard or annoying to do?
> What would you like to be able to use Squeak for?

All kinds of automation stuff where a simple shell script or batch
file seems inadequate. Creating little (graphical) tools that make
life (and special work tasks) easier. But being aware of the other
posts in this thread, I guess this just degenerates to me affirming
Herbert in the first paragraph.