[squeak-dev] Interesting articles about Mobile Smalltalk on Android and iOS

Bruce O'Neel bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch
Sun Feb 25 11:20:54 UTC 2018

[http://simberon.blogspot.ch/2017/11/mobile-smalltalk.html?m=1](http://simberon.blogspot.ch/2017/11/mobile-smalltalk.html?m=1)

The TL;DR section is:

I've wanted to be able to run Smalltalk on Android and iOS for many years.  I finally decided to do something about it.  I chose VisualWorks for my development environment.  Unfortunately iOS doesn't support dynamic compilation so getting the regular VisualWorks VM to run on iOS is virtually impossible.  I decided to skirt around the issue by writing my own VM.

My VM is written in C.  It interprets the same bytecodes as those generated by VisualWorks so I can use the VisualWorks compiler to compile all of the code for the mobile Smalltalk.  Being a pure interpreter, I get around the problem of dynamic compilation on iOS.  Apple is okay with an interpreter so long as all of the code it's interpreting is delivered with the product and not downloaded dynamically.

cheers

bruce