[squeak-dev] Interesting articles about Mobile Smalltalk on Android and iOS

Ron Teitelbaum ron at usmedrec.com
Sun Feb 25 20:50:45 UTC 2018

from:
Alejandro Reimondo
February 25, 2018 at 1:26 PM

We use S8 to build iOS and android native applications with Smalltalk
Take a look at S8 Smalltalk platforms and U8 tools.
We do not use a smalltalk VM, nor bytecodes (our intermediate code
is javascript source code in iOS and android) more freedom on where
to run; 100% MIT licensed and social development.

For iOS native applications, 100% of application is written
in S8 smalltalk, using and creating Objective-C classes
dynamically on demmand; implementing the methods
in Smalltalk (of new classes and additions/replacements
of native classes).

For Android we use something similar to use and interact
with Java; and also implement prototype based interfaces
when required (of course, again, 100% S8 smalltalk).

In short we use smalltalk, without the old parts; e.g. VM
and forced encapsulation of contents, that prevents the
wide use of smalltalk systems in modern execution contexts.

Smalltalk)
http://u8.smalltalling.net - Main service portal for Social software
development with Smalltalk
http://aleReimondo.no-ip.org/U8 - main community swiki for S8 smalltalk and
tools (U8)
http://aleReimondo.no-ip.org/s8media - media swiki for collaborative
development and testing
https://www.facebook.com/groups/s8smalltalk/ - S8 Smalltalk Facebook group

cheers,
Ale
p.d.: I tried to send this text as an email through squeak-dev list
but the list refuses to post my email.