[squeak-dev] Survey: what do you do with Squeak, what do you *want* to do?

patrick.rein at hpi.uni-potsdam.de patrick.rein at hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Feb 25 15:43:08 UTC 2018

I really love the answers so far! :)

>At the latest board meeting we got to discussing the relative quietness of the squeak list(s) recently. We were wondering what you folks out there are doing with Squeak, what you'd like to be able to use it for, the things that you think would be important to improve it for wider use and so on.
>
>Please, whether you're a frequent user or an occasional look-at-the-list type, take a moment to let us know your opinions.
>
>What do you use Squeak for?

I use it for my everyday information management. This includes:
- emails
- todo management
- organizing bibliographic information
- writing documents, sometimes papers
- programming :)
- managing students and projects for university courses
(- I once started working on a domain model for managing my garden but never came around making it easy enough so I can adjust it quickly to my real-world tinkering)

Sometimes I use it to create presentations for conference talks using the BookMorph.

Also, I use it to do programming language experiments.

>If you don't use Squeak, why not?
>If you used Squeak in the past and don't now, what pulled you away?
>
>What does Squeak lack that you think might make you use it for 'regular' development?

It would be nice to have nicer rendering of morphs and fonts.

>What things are too hard or annoying to do?

While classes are useful, I often need instance-specific fields. So far I always implemented it myself but it would be nice to have it as part of the language.

Handling files could be easier. The interface is somewhat confusing.

>What would you like to be able to use Squeak for?

All my presentations :) However, manually assembling morphs and layouts is somewhat tedious. Also one of the last activities (besides music, video, web browsing, and calendars) for which I have to resort to my host OS is PDF reading (beyond converting a PDF to a folder of pngs and reading that :) ).

Also, editing objects is something I would love to directly from the explorer (or a similar tool). For example, I imagine dragging objects around and storing them in an instance variable of another object by simply dropping them in some tool.

Also I would really like to have a model for structured documents of some kind which plays nicely with Morphic. That would include the infamous embedding of Morphs in text.

Bests
Patrick