[squeak-dev] Request size in browse revisions

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 17:30:14 UTC 2018

Hi Chris,

    I just looked for revisions of a large initialization method in
VMMaker.oscog and got the reply

'HTTP/1.1 414 Request-URI Too Large
server: nginx/1.12.2
date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:26:03 GMT
content-type: text/html
content-length: 193
connection: close

<center><h1>414 Request-URI Too Large</h1></center>
'

I wonder could the API be changed so that the request doesn't include the
body of the method, but only its selector, class and timestamp?  The issue
would appear to be here:

httpGet: actionString for: aMCDefinition
^ HTTPSocket
httpGet: self locationWithTrailingSlash
args:
{ 'action'->{actionString}.
'mc-definition'-> {self serializeForRequest: aMCDefinition}}
user: self user
passwd: self password

Copying the aMCDefinition instance and setting its source to something
small (nil?, the empty string?, the selector?) would solve the size
problem.  What info does the server require?

best, Eliot