[squeak-dev] source.squeak.org --- Responsiveness

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jan 18 12:12:24 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 08:10:31AM +0100, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Hi, there.
>
> Since several weeks/months now, I cannot update a single package without either getting a gateway error or a connection timeout. Luckily, the timeout means that the code update was at least completed, which I can observe in my email inbox.
>
> What's going on there?! That used to work fine. Timeouts were rare. Gateway errors non-existent.

I think that the problem goes back longer than that, although it does seem
to be getting worse in recent months.

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that there are two possible causes:

1) If I recall right, the VM that is installed with source.squeak.org (which
is quite old now) came from a time at which there were problems with the garbage
collector that led to noticeable delays. It is possible that updating the VM
to a more recent version would make this go away.

2) The image is backed by Magma, and it is possible that something there is
eating time when an update is made to a repository.

Dave