[squeak-dev] Serious garbage/storage leak issue with MCInfoProxy

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 23:24:03 UTC 2018

Hi All,

    I've been experiencing image save slowdowns recently and finally my
work image reached 1.%Gb and I thought I better take a look:

Sisyphus.Cog$ ls -lh SpurWork64.* save/SpurWork64-*
-rw-r--r--@ 1 eliot  staff    28M Jan 18 12:47 SpurWork64.changes
-rw-r--r--@ 1 eliot  staff   1.6G Jan 18 12:48 SpurWork64.image
-rw-r--r--@ 1 eliot  staff    28M Jan 18 12:03
save/SpurWork64-2018-01-18.changes
-rw-r--r--@ 1 eliot  staff   1.5G Jan 18 12:03
save/SpurWork64-2018-01-18.image

I ran a space analysis and found that Bitmap and ByteArray were the top
two, so I looked for large Bitmaps.  I found three that fit this criterion:

    Bitmap allInstances select: [:bm| bm size >= 1000000 and: [bm ~~
Display bits]]

I inspected the three and did a chase pointers on one of them.  As I did
that suddenly
a) the inspector on the Array became empty (still an array but zero
elements)
b) the progress bar for Downloading FlexibleVocabularies-who.NN appeared

I interrupted this and did a very cursory stack examination. Some object
had not understood isLiteral and from there what looked like an attempt to
turn this stub into a real object caused FlexibleVocabularies-who.NN to
start to download.

I threw away the debugger, ran the GC and suddenly all my free space was
back.  So now on disc I have

Sisyphus.Cog$ ls -lh SpurWork64.* save/SpurWork64-*
-rw-r--r--@ 1 eliot  staff    28M Jan 18 15:17 SpurWork64.changes
-rw-r--r--@ 1 eliot  staff    57M Jan 18 15:17 SpurWork64.image
-rw-r--r--@ 1 eliot  staff    28M Jan 18 12:03
save/SpurWork64-2018-01-18.changes
-rw-r--r--@ 1 eliot  staff   1.5G Jan 18 12:03
save/SpurWork64-2018-01-18.image

What is going on here?  There seems to be a very bad storage leak.  Can we
please discuss this?  This doesn't seem like healthy behaviour at all :-)

best, Eliot