[squeak-dev] source.squeak.org --- Responsiveness

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jan 19 03:36:29 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 09:09:00PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
> >> I was able to VNC right into the server image.  It is responsive,
> >> however, there are a ton of processes apparently stuck on a
> >> Mutex>>#critical: block.  I think that explains the timeouts.
> >>
> >> The service was last restarted 204 days ago.  I'll contact box-admins
> >> and board about restarting the service, that should clear it up.
> >
> > and for my information what version of Squeak and what VM is it running?
>
> The production VM released with Squeak 5.1.
>
>     5.0-201608171728  Sun Sep 25 16:02:24 UTC 2016 gcc 4.6.3
> [Production Spur VM]
>
> It's been a few months since I tried the most recent VM.  All the
> newer ones I'd ever tried since the GC rewrite would crash more often
> than I could bear.
>
> I run this same code base and VM to support my own code repository as
> a local daemontools service.  It doesn't have the volume
> source.squeak.org has, but it has been stable for me.

I think that my mention of garbage collection as a possible cause is
a red herring. Likewise my mention of Magma backing store. Those were
just the only two things I could think of that were obviously different
from the other squeaksource image that we are running.

In any case, 204 days of continuous service without a restart is nothing
to be unhappy about :-)

Dave