[squeak-dev] System Browser feature request

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Sat Jan 20 09:57:20 UTC 2018

Hi, there.

Like this?

Find attached the ChangeSet.

Best,
Marcel
Am 20.01.2018 00:52:50 schrieb Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:
Hi Kjell,

On Jan 19, 2018, at 3:32 PM, Kjell Godo <squeaklist at gmail.com [mailto:squeaklist at gmail.com]> wrote:

this Monticello trick is very nice to know

Dolphin Smalltalk has this in all the Class browsers and it is very nice
and you can use it in your programming to make
system wide cross package groupings or changes

it is probably easy to do in Squeak Pharo

just using a script

it would be cool to know what that script is

just getting a sequence of Methods or method names would be good

self systemNavigation alImplementorsOf: #foo

answers a sequence of MethodReference which respond to #actualClass.  So...

(self systemNavigation alImplementorsOf: #foo) do:
    [:mr |
     mr actualClass organization
        classify: mr selector
        under: '*MyPackage-daylight robbery']

A hint is to inspect tool buttons that do things you'd like to do by script and trace through their implementation, ideally in the debugger.  Remember that in a self-implemented system everything will be accessible at the language level.  Just practice exploring a bit.

Another hint is to use MethodFinder or Message Names.  I use the latter to program/browse across package and class boundaries.  Message Names takes s semicolon separated list of patterns so you can type things like
    *senders*;*implementors*
to find all selectors and methods in the system that match either of those.

The system is so large now that this exploration is much more difficult than when it had 2,200 methods; it now has that number of classes and metaclasses.  But it is still possible and fruitful.  And looking at the core classes like Behavior, ClassDescription and CompiledMethod will provide you with tools you can use.

HTH