[squeak-dev] On the performance of our browsers... THEY TICK!

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Sun Jan 21 08:46:46 UTC 2018

Hi, there.

Our browsers (or rather all tools) are stepping. That's bad.

See for yourself in #updateListsAndCodeIn: or put a "Transcript showln: #verify" in PluggableListMorph >> #verifyContents. That's why we have to be very careful to add anything new to our tools. Here, #verifyContents makes a full list fetch from the model ... EVERY SECOND!

Note this:
1) We have a system change notifier to respond to code changes in our code-centric tools.
2) We have #changed:/#update: to keep the GUI up-to-date in our other ToolBuilder tools/applications.
3) We should get rid of Object >> #stepIn:, #stepAt:in:, #modelWakeUpIn:, #updateListsAndCodeIn:.

It might be a legacy from old MVC times. I don't know. It is not required anymore.

Best,
Marcel

P.S.: Also see SystemWindow >> #stepTime and all implementors of #stepTimeIn:. ;-)
P.P.S.: Only our Inspector needs it since we have no clue what "changed" means for an arbitrary object.