[squeak-dev] Laptop Repo was [source.squeak.org --- Responsiveness]

Chris Cunnington brasspen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 19:39:18 UTC 2018

>It's all here:

>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6365 <http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6365>

>This is what source.squeak.org is running.  It installs and runs clean
>(in Linux).  It never saves the running image.

>Every serious Squeak developer should do it on their laptop, so they
>can have the revision history for their own proprietary code, not just
>the source.squeak.org repositories.

This is interesting, but it seems over engineered. Http was never part of the first, second or third designs of Monticello. It went large when people in Bern made SqueakSource. The aim, I think, was to present the packages in an HTML format for people to read instead of having a faceless HTTP address access to a file directory somewhere. After that, it seems, people forgot Monticello has ten different kinds of repository available.

With the instructions I’ve shown below, I think a person could do what you’re doing after five minutes of setup using only Monticello in an any image. [1] And it would work on any OS, not just Linux. Getting Installer scripts to point to a directory on your desktop (simultaneously copying into Dropbox perhaps?) would be a next and probably simple step.

All the code history is in the MC files on disk. I don’t think SqueakSource has anything to say about your versions. I don’t think you need SqueakSource at all. Just Monticello. Is there something here I’m missing?

Chris

[1]
1 Create a desktop folder called “MyMonticelloFiles”
2 In MC add as a directory repository pointing to MyMonticelloFiles
3 Existing packages in MC won’t see the new repo from “add repository”, until…
4 Go to Browser. Put any class in a new class category (i.e. MCDummyCategory)
5 Add new package “MCDummyCategory” in MC
6 “Add Repository” for MCDummyCategory to MyMonticelloFiles repository
7 Save MCDummyCategory to MyMonticelloFiles on disk
8 All existing packages now have MyMonticelloFiles as a destination
9 Adapt Installer script to use “Installer monticello directory: ‘MyMonticelloFiles’ or something
Details here, I suppose. http://installer.pbworks.com/w/page/19997682/Installer