[squeak-dev] Laptop Repo was [source.squeak.org --- Responsiveness]

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed Jan 24 21:18:38 UTC 2018

Hi all,

> On 24.01.2018, at 21:52, Chris Cunningham <cunningham.cb at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 12:39 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> A slightly off-the-wall approach might be to have the submitting machine create the diff and send it along with the main package. The server is relieved of having to worry about it at a probably small cost in network usage.
>
> Another option - don’t send the whole diff out by email; save it to somewhere that has a stable URL and put that in the email.
>
> Those aren't either/or options.
>
> Maybe a 'short' diff (256 characters, say) of the full diff is sent out, with a link to the full diff back on the server. Small changes are included in the email; large changes need to use a browser.
>
> Additionally, either the submitter does the diff, or a background does the diff, or something even smarter that someone finally thinks of.

We already have a cuttoff for excessive size, maybe tune it down?

On another note, for squeaksource3 I had actually implemented such a thing.
First, there are different "subscriptions" for such actions (version upload)
These subscriptions include
 - mail sending
but could include
 - Cache invalidation (I have the page cached that monticello downloads)
 - statistics update
.

Those are handled asynchrony by a different Process (in Squeak) or a dedicated service VM (in GemStone)

See here:
	http://www.squeaksource.com/squeaksource3.html
package
	SqueakSource-Subscription-Core-topa.12.mcz
	SqueakSource-Subscription-Email-topa.13.mcz
(plus platformspecific:
	SqueakSource-SqueakPharo-Subscription-Core-topa.8.mcz (extra process)

Hope that helps.
	-Tobias