[squeak-dev] Transcript flush

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 18:46:41 UTC 2018

Hi All,

    recently Transcript flush, in the context of the UI process, no longer
causes the Transcript to display its contents immediately.  This is a most
serious regression and I ask that it be rectified as soon as possible.  I
would rather have a slower transcript than one that does not update
immediately on being sent flush.  One can always use show: if one does not
require immediate update, but flush implies that one wants to see the
update now.  Yes, one can use the progress notification for update but it
has its own issues with its complex structure.  being able to write periods
to the transcript occasionally is something I depend upon.

To reproduce, the following should update the transcript periodically, but
now no longer; no output appears until one interrupts the computation:

0 to: SmallInteger maxVal do: [:i| i \\ 10 = 0 ifTrue: [Transcript nextPut:
$.; flush]. 10000 factorial]

best, Eliot