[squeak-dev] An idea for the debugger...

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Sat Jan 27 11:53:11 UTC 2018

Hi Tim,

this sounds more like our Workspace needs a way to hijack another tool's bindings. ;-)

Best,
Marcel
Am 26.01.2018 20:23:48 schrieb tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:
How about a persistent (for varying definitions) text morph view within debugger-land, functioning somewhat like the code view in an explorer. The current inspector views throw away anything when you change the inspector focus, which is both good and bad. Having a persistent place to run snippets would be useful. I’m not sure what the most convenient way to bind it would be. The explorer approach mostly works and is at least familiar even when it does something to annoy you.

I don’t think it would even have to be within the debugger window strictly speaking. Having an option to open it and put it out of the way could be useful. And we could pre-fill it with happy little lines of code applicable to the object(s) being debugged; imagine CodeProcessCogulator class>>debuggerSnippets returning a list of useful fragments.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Cave ne ante ullas catapultas ambules = If I were you, I wouldn't walk in front of any catapults.