[squeak-dev] [5.2a] styled text in a class comment spawns endless subscript out-of-bounds

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 09:09:48 UTC 2018

On Tuesday 03 July 2018 04:40 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> 1. File-in the .cs as attached*.
> 2. In a system browser, click on the class, then click on the [?] button
> to view class comment.
> 3. Notice the styled text in the comment.
> 4. Click around the comment pane a bit.
> 5. Eventually, see "Error: subscript is out of bounds: 71" appear over
> and over until you interrupt.
In step 4, it is sufficient to click once near the bottom of the pane
when the cursor changes from I-bar to arrow and then wait. This will
trigger the error, but the error window triggers itself recursively
around 50 times before stopping and displaying the windows.

I added an assert to catch it before recursion:

    self assert: lastIndex < sourceString size.

The assert window itself throws up another error, but that is a topic
for another thread ;-).

Regards .. Subbu