[squeak-dev] voice control of the Squeak IDE

Craig Latta craig at blackpagedigital.com
Thu Jul 5 08:54:22 UTC 2018

Hi all--

     As part of the Caffeine VR system, I'm working on voice
recognition. When wearing a VR headset without AR cameras, it's useful
to control the system by voice, without having to look at a physical
keyboard. I'm using the Web Speech API[1] on Chrome, which has a good
recognizer that requires no training. I've adapted the natural language
state machine framework from Quoth[2] to work with the A-Frame[3] VR
support I've written for Caffeine[4].

     So far, I've implemented phrases for moving and rotating the
camera, like...

-    "Move forward 10."
-    "Move up 15."
-    "Rotate left 45."
-    "Go home."

     ...and phrases for controlling the Squeak IDE, like...

-    "Open a browser."
-    "Browse implementors of at colon put colon."
-    "Close window."
-    "Find a class."
-    "New method."
-    "Start typing."
-    "Accept."
-    "Evaluate three plus four."

     What would you expect a speech-capable Squeak IDE to understand?

     thanks,

-C

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Web_Speech_API
[2] http://netjam.org/quoth