[squeak-dev] Squeak Full Test run - some stats

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 04:17:37 UTC 2018

Hi.

I'm trying to run the full test suite in Squeak, and it takes a while.  So,
I've timed it and noted which parts are slow.

Full test suite in Test Runner (except the "Help System-*" tests - more on
that later) took 26:21.798 - just under a 1/2 hour.

The top 6 test classes (those taking over a minute each):
  05:11.612  PureBehaviorTest
  03:15.047  DecompilerTests
  03:09.779  TraitTest
  03:01.287  TraitMethodDescriptionTest
  02:19.789  TraitCompositionTest
  01:12.013  TraitFileOutTest
So, about 2/3rds of the time on those tests.

Testing environment:
  Squeak5.2alpha
  latest update: #18145
  Image format 68021 (64 bit)
  Croquet Closure Stack VM [StackInterpreterPrimitives
VMMaker.oscog-eem.2203]
  Win32 built on Apr 27 2017 03:08:19 GMT Compiler: 4.2.1 Compatible Clang
3.9.1 (tags/RELEASE_391/final)
  platform sources revision VM: 201704270225
hardware:
  Processors: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
Identifier: AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
~MHZ: 3516
  Operating System: Windows 10 Home (Build 9200 )

Results:
  4479 run, 4426 passes, 29 expected failures, 23 failures, 0 errors, 1
unexpected passes
Issues:

So, what are the 'normal' failing tests that I should ignore, if any?

If you are interested in how the timing was done, I loaded this package
(recently created for another purpose):
   MCHttpRepository
location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/CBCTimeLogging'
user: ''
password: ''
Load "Time Logging" (at least version cbc.2)
Load "Test logging sunit integration" (at least version cbc.1)

Then, any runs of tests in TestRunner should log the it takes.  The
following commands show the results as noted above:
  (TimeLogging globalTimingLogs category: #testRunner) categoryTime.
  (((TimeLogging globalTimingLogs category: #testRunner) slowestGroupTimes
select: [:sgt| sgt second >= 1 minute]) collect: #printString)
joinSeparatedBy: String cr.

* About the "Help-System-*" tests, they manage to block the TestRunner with
a failure in showing one of the UI's, which after moving a window or two
locked up the image. Not nice.  Will follow up in another message.

Also, why does Test Runner not keep a progress bar showing all of the
time?  It is unnerving now knowing if it is running or not - several times
it just seems locked while it is doing things in the background.

Thanks,
cbc