[squeak-dev] Please keep a clean and dense history (was: The Trunk: Collections-dtl.802.mcz)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 22:40:27 UTC 2018

I moved this and Collections-kks.801 to The Treated Inbox.  You may
wish to "flush cached versions" on the menu of the Monticello
repository list.  No further action should be required unless you plan
to submit a new version of Collections, in which case, you'll know
what to do.

I prefer a clean and dense history of chunky changes, but I also
understand the appeal of spasmodic rapid-fire micro-commits prevalent
in git culture.  But as the primary developer, maintainer and support
contact for source.squeak.org, I respectfully request the community to
remember and respect the current unscalable nature of our Monticello
model.  There are several ideas for fixing it, but as its a crucial
part of our infrastructure, upgrades require careful, concerted and
coordinated effort that no one currently has time for.

Looking forward, please consider some guidelines for Trunk submissions:

   - Live with the code for a few days first.
   - Consider sharing it via the Inbox for extra review eyes.
   - When saving the MCZ version, arrow through every single change
and review it.
   - When saving the MCZ version, describe why the change is being
made rather than what.
   - When saving the MCZ version the use the description to explain
why the change is being made rather than what.
   - When saving the MCZ version, remember to consider all the other
"objects" of the MCZ besides just the code and description,
specifically, there are the pre and post scripts, as well as the MCZ
name.
 - Consider batching up trivial improvements (i.e., a fixed
misspelling of a comment) together and/or piggy-backed with other
non-trvial change within that same package.

This is our collective creation, our names are on it.  I hope y'all
share my pride about the great system we've built.

Regards,
  Chris