[squeak-dev] Dr .Geo under Dynabook perspective

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 10:38:43 UTC 2018

Hello Hilaire

Congratulations to your recent Dr. Geo release! I downloaded Dr. Geo
for the first time since a long time.

It is usefult to have the definition of 'Active Essay' restated in
your blog post

"
Alan Kay's personal dynamic media concept[1] and its implementation in
the interim Dynabook[2], [3] and later the Etoys system propose a mix
of written static contents and computer programs. The former is the
old world of book, the later the new world of computerised dynamic
simulation, model and hand-on experience; put together these contents
are the essence of an Active Essay[4].
"

So actually a static text together with code (most often a Domain
Specific Language) in a regular Smalltalk image may be considered an
'Active Essay'. And a collection of these Essays a 'Dynabook'.

Questions are of course also who writes these texts, how are they kept
and maintained over a long time along side with the code examples.

And about the Dr. Geo DSL. Is it well constructed and easy to learn.

--Hannes