[squeak-dev] Cleaning unneeded UpdateStreamDownloader

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 15:08:57 UTC 2018

Hi David, Edgar,

On 23 Jul 2018, at 09:51, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> I would be happy just to see UpdateStreamDownloader get a good class
> comment
> that explains what it is, and that clarifies the difference between our
> current
> Montecello based update stream and the older change set based stream.
>
> By principle of encapsulation, a comment should not tell about the
implementation of another class.
So if we need a comparison, it should lie somewhere else.

An update stream is not a version control system. The update stream that we
> use today happens to be built on top of Montecello, but if we ever wanted
> to decouple the update stream from the version control system (for example,
> if someone wanted to use git for version control), then it might be
> important
> to have a simple change set based mechanism that works independent of the
> version control systems.
>
> But if the update stream does not refer to the VCS, then we get an image
out of sync with the VCS which is an undesirable property.
If we would switch to git or whatever, we should arrange to keep the link
between image and git repository.

> I can also imagine a scenario in which we would want to provide some kind
> of "mirror" of Squeak trunk on GitHub in order to make the system more
> visible
> and accessible to the world at large. In that case, it might be helpful to
> have a change set based update stream that follows the real one in
> Montecello.
>
> If github is not the source but only a mirror, then we loose the
efficiency of github interface.
And here again a change set is a bad solution for tracking changes, it does
not fit git model of code:
a change to a single method would be split across many different .cs like
is the case for Cuis now.
There is no way for git to figure out that different files represent a
different edition of a single method.
With .cs, it's like you want to impose the internal format of VCS (diff
with a method granularity).
Forget about .cs, the mourning period is over ;)

Dave