[squeak-dev] Cleaning unneeded UpdateStreamDownloader

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 18:45:18 UTC 2018

nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com>:

>> Why ?
>> Each become his master
>> I could take your Nicolas.32.cs and David.44.cs as long was useful.
>> Become Edgar.14.cs and Edgar.15.cs.
>> I talking about forks of trunk private.
>> The merge occurred on trunk when/if someone send to inbox
>>

> Sure, you can copy and rename files.
> Then next time you want to merge, you just have to perform O(N^2) diff...
>
> This deserves more explanations: O(N^2) is if you want to use VCS to merge.
That's because the source code of each method can be in each .cs...
It's just impossible.

If you don't use VCS for storing the .cs, then you get the problem of not
having the history of the method.
You diff from your image, find a difference, but you don't know if this is
a fork from an older common ancestor...

And since the model you describe is just cherry picking, then you have
examine if you reject or accept it, and redo this each time you want to
merge...

And you also lost the ordering of changes which was the only interesting
part of .cs.

How could this scale?