[squeak-dev] SemaphoreTest fails in trunk, is a fix needed for the 5.2 release?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 03:03:12 UTC 2018

Hi Dave,

> On Jul 23, 2018, at 7:38 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> Semaphore seems like a rather basic thing that should work correctly in
> any Squeak image. The tests do not pass in trunk any more.
>
> Specifically, SemaphoreTest>>testSemaInCriticalWait fails in trunk, but passes
> in the earlier Squeak 4.6 / 5.0 images.
>
> Is this a real problem? Does it need to be fixed for the 5.2 release?

Yes and yes.  I have a fix (a fix to Process>>#terminate that also allows a simpler version of Semaphore>>#critical:) that I shall commit to inbox very soon.  Am in the middle of composing a full description of the problem and solution, but it’s a long post and has taken longer than I had assumed, hence this quick response.  Bert, Levente, Clément, Marcus, heads up, I would like (at least) you all to read and review the fixes when I commit.

> Dave

Eliot