[squeak-dev] Survey: what do you do with Squeak, what do you *want* to do?

henry henry at callistohouse.club
Thu Mar 1 16:13:39 UTC 2018

Super happy to see the new board take the initiative, with this Survey. I’ll try to add my answers thoughtfully.

What do you use Squeak for?

- Cryptography-ASN.1, Green
- eLinda, Yellow
- forward error correction, incomplete Green
- ParrotTalk- encrypted ASN.1 specified comms between Squeak/Pharo/Java -, RELEASED GREEN
- and Raven which is distributed objects with a PromiseFuture interface which is eventually sending async, promise returns, messages between objects. From http://erights.org, supports sending messages to futures of promise returns for send-chaining that is forwarded to the send Continuation, evaluated in a single-threaded event-loop. Raven passes all tests in Squeak/Pharo. Green.
- STON for Java is not squeak code, it is Java code, to bring STON encoding so Raven can operate in Java, for distributed capabilities, cross-language promise system. C#, Swift, C support pending...

If you don't use Squeak, why not? I do use all the time, I love what everyone built over the decades. I am appreciating you.

If you used Squeak in the past and don't now, what pulled you away?
I get pulled into Pharo and Java, but Squeak is my home environment.

What does Squeak lack that you think might make you use it for 'regular' development?

Spec back-ported from Pharo to Squeak and then Native windows support, each Morphic frame is an OS window. Spec-driven even better.

What things are too hard or annoying to do?

The seeming confusion, on my part in the least, all the different source control efforts. I like my Monticello. It seems there are too many needed steps to have package source control and package dependency control, then initialize and/or startUp:. Metacello, Installer, Gofer, Tonal, Iceberg.  I don’t like having a ConfigurationOfXXXXXX, that makes two-level commit required. I think there is a way to add required or dependent packages, in Monticello but I have never used. Dependencies is hard, building trees from graphs. I wish Monticello packages incorporated all the dependency management learned in these other attempts such that the Monticello Browser is still the right point of entry and, for lack of a better term, application aware: MonticelloApplication.

What would you like to be able to use Squeak for?

I wish Raven to become the reference implementation for distributed capabilities Actor system, with eventual promise execution environment. With both a distributed naming service and job manager and application publishing, form the basis of Neal Stephenson’s Metaverse, with interconnected Houses 🏡 of presence in social activity.

I also wish to see lots of inter connectivity to RDB, NoSQL, BigData, and Cloud managers so Squeak/Pharo can be always-on servers. I believe the answer is data connection, naming and management, to form a MetaManager.

Thank you for the opportunity to share.