[squeak-dev] [not really an announcement] Morph To Method

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 02:36:14 UTC 2018

Hi.

So, ever since I started actually using Morphic to build things with
drag/drop, I've wanted to build a little tool to turn those morphs back
into code/classes in Squeak.  I started out working on that, but got
distracted (especially since I started hand-coding for each and every Morph
how to encode them - and I wasn't going to have the patience for that).

When Tm Jhnsn wrote that he wanted the same thing, I dusted off my old
approach, and made it work - mostly.  If you look in

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/morphToMethod'
    user: 'cbc'
    password: ''

and version 9, it should take most simple morphs and encode them.  It can
also take some morphs from EToys and encode them as well, although I really
don't know enough about EToys to figure out how to trap the right pieces.

If you do this, please heed the warnings in the class!  My first attempt at
the EToys with TileMap morph wound up bringing in the whole TileMaps -
morph and tiles both.  At this point, it is more of a spike - is this a
useful direction to go, or not?

Video: *https://youtu.be/ou9g1_eLszM <https://youtu.be/ou9g1_eLszM>*
(Taken right after running through the TileMap video myself)

-CBC