[squeak-dev] Survey: what do you do with Squeak, what do you *want* to do?

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 23:20:16 UTC 2018

The short answer is just about everything.  I'm primarily working on web
applications these days but also do some 'native' Smalltalk apps (I.e.
Morphic and OpenGL-based) as well as hybrid stuff. Most of what I'm doing
would best be described as data processing/text processing/NLP (the most
interesting use a variety of OMeta-based data parsers and DSLs) with rich
front-ends as well as more mundane business database apps.  And when I
can't take the work stuff anymore, I have a couple of games I work on for
fun (and who knows, maybe someday for profit.)

One example: recently I was working on an OpenGL-based visualization (in
Cuis) which gets it's data via a database-backed web service (also in Cuis)
and needed to fine-tune some shaders.  Being the lazy sort that I am, I
slapped together a quick web app (yet again in Cuis) that allowed me to
interactively modify the shaders (without needing to restart the
visualization, which was a nice bonus) and it all worked out quite well.  I
liked the ease of it so much that I generalized the web app a bit and now
use it as my front line of OpenGL monitoring and tweaking which is a lot
faster than I could spit out even a simple 2D Morphic tool.

Smalltalk as a foundation and lever makes that rapid development and
blurring/erasing of distinctions (client/server,  thick/thin client)
possible, but Cuis makes it practical by allowing me to trivially navigate
from the highest level of abstraction in the image to the lowest and
laterally from one set of tools to another since I can keep a mental model
of large chunks of the system, and the entirety of the parts I am working
on, in my head and alter fundamental system behavior as needed while not
spending a lot of time and energy to keep it running as new images are
released.  Theoretically all this is doable in Squeak, but in practice I
didn't find it feasible.