[squeak-dev] Method Finder and deprecated method(s)

Tim Johnson digit at sonic.net
Thu Mar 15 04:41:30 UTC 2018

Hi David, Eliot, Hannes —

Thanks for your suggestions.

Tonight I tried contributing my Tools patches to the inbox repo — first from my working 6.0a image, and then from a 6.0a with all trunk updates.  From both images, it pulled the removal of Context>>inspectorClass into my changes.  Not sure why, though I know inspectorClass was something recently changed by others.

How I tried to address / work around this:

In my working trunk image, I tried reverting (IIRC) Context>>inspectorClass's removal using Monticello Browser.  This left me in a state where I received a DNU whenever I tried to diff, show changes, or save to the inbox repo.   Things got ugly.  I saved screenshots.

In the freshly updated trunk image, I didn’t fool around with reverting or diffing inside of Monticello Browser.  I just went straight to trying a ’save’ to the inbox repo.   This successfully created a commit (no DNU) but the commit again included the removal of Context>>inspectorClass.

Inside that commit window, I chose ‘revert (x)’ on the ‘Context>>inspectorClass’ item.  I then ‘cancel'ed out of the commit, thus dismissing the window.  I then (again) hit ‘save’ to the inbox repo.  This time, the commit window appeared and Context>>inspectorClass was not in my changes (yay).  I’ve submitted this commit to Inbox.

So:

How can I avoid a situation like this in the future?

Perhaps I should have also tried/built all of this against a freshly updated 5.1 image, instead of trunk?

In any case, I don’t think Context>>inspectorClass’s removal is being pulled into my changes because of anything I did.  Maybe it is missing that special something.  Or maybe (probably) I am the one missing something.

Thanks again,
Tim