[squeak-dev] Suspiscious "weak" value reclaimed

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Mar 26 21:25:28 UTC 2018

> On 26-03-2018, at 2:15 PM, Bob Arning <arning315 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Other that the WeakValueDictionary, is there anything referencing either the class or metaclass? If not, then they would be collected. Perhaps VW is saving a reference elsewhere?

Usually a class' superclass would point to it with the subclasses array. If you were to make classes and *not* install them as a child of some superclass then I'd anticipate the class getting collected as soon as there are not instances being held onto. You could probably do interesting things by having the subclass array be weak and maybe having a mechanism that can (re)load a class when actually needed. But wait! That's at least in part what Craig has been doing with Context for some time now.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Quo signo nata es? = What's your sign?