[squeak-dev] High-level docs for ToolBuilder?

Daniel Passaro danpassaro at gmail.com
Mon May 7 02:54:51 UTC 2018

I'm trying to build a pet GUI project in Squeak but I'm finding it very
confusing to trace through the code that actually builds, for example, a
Workspace or SystemBrowser.  Is there an up-to-date, high-level overview of
how ToolBuilder works and the intended/best-practice way of creating an
actual application with it?

I am also a Squeak and Smalltalk newbie so if ToolBuilder only makes sense
if, say, you're familiar with MVC, please let me know as ToolBuilder is the
first framework I've tried to use in Squeak.

For the record, I have skimmed some of the other Morphic tutorials but they
seem to generally involve custom widgets that don't scale with the parent
window.  I want to create a plain-Jane business-y GUI with scrollbars and
expandable windwos, but most of the tutorials I found seemed geared towards
more playful and exploratory projects (laser games and bouncing balls and
etc).