[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tools-cmm.812.mcz

Tim Johnson digit at sonic.net
Thu May 10 15:21:12 UTC 2018

> On May 9, 2018, at 10:59 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My inclination would be to keep it as a nice example of sending email in Squeak, and I would address Tim' criticism by making sure that setting up email preferences was easy.  Being able to send email isn't widely used but it is very useful in some circumstances.  Either email is in an well supported or out in its own package.  Arguably, what we have is sitting on the fence.

As far back as 2008, people who posted bugs to the mailing list using this feature were welcomed into the community by a reply encouraging  them not to use the feature anymore and to instead submit bugs using Mantis.  ;)

http://forum.world.st/BUG-ToolSet-class-Object-gt-gt-doesNotUnderstand-openMessageList-name-autoSelect-td70598.html

But, of course, times and tastes change.

It could be a simple, helpful gesture to prepend something like the following to Debugger>>#mailOutBugReport :

UIManager confirm: 'You are about to send a bug report to the mailing list.\This could potentially expose sensitive data to outside parties.\Additionally, this feature is rarely used.\Proceed?' withCRs

Thanks,
Tim