[squeak-dev] Saving the default image when one starts it for the first time

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri May 18 17:29:07 UTC 2018

> On 17-05-2018, at 11:47 PM, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>
> I think that most of the clean-up code in ReleaseBuilder should be enough for the average user to clean up the own image again. So, we just need to add some UI to "Reset this image to factory defaults" or something.

I'm not seeing how that would be possible for any meaningful amount of changes; sure, resetting various preferences can be done but that's a very long way from 'go back to default image'.

We have been previously discussing how to deal with having 32 & 64 bit image and supporting VMs, along with the expanded world of v3 images etc. That is pretty much predicated on having an image path to use to work out which vm is needed. We surely ought to be able to decide on a default image when none is specified, copy it to a 'proper' place and then use the aforementioned logic to start the right vm with that image. That should work with likely cases -
starting Squeak with no image specified via a command line
starting Squeak by clicking on a desktop icon
starting an image via commandline with a specified image
starting by clicking on a image file, so long as you've set the filetype to executable association correctly
maybe even just trying to execute an image could work  - kinda like having !#/bin/sh/squeak-starter at the beginning of the image? Likely doesn't translate well though. Do many OS's have a commandline equivalent to 'run this file by looking up its filetype-> executable rule?

tim
Useful random insult:- When a thought crosses her mind, it's a long and lonely journey.