[squeak-dev] Saving the default image when one starts it for the first time

John-Reed Maffeo jrmaffeo at gmail.com
Sat May 19 02:23:15 UTC 2018

What is the "New User Experience" we are trying to support?  Who is the
"New User" we are trying to reach? The All-In-One distribution is really
cool for demonstrating the power of Squeak but it becomes problematic for
doing any kind of development work because the files are, well, like Tim
said.  I agree with Chris that we want AIO to be a "first kiss" kind of
experience.

My personal use cases for AIO are performing cross platform testing and the
occasional demonstration showing SameGame running on three different
platforms from the same launch point on the network. AIO is an APP Squeak
is a POWERTOOL (that can be used to create really neat apps).

For this particular issue, my suggestion is to have a special dialog when
the user *closes* the image and explain why it is good to save the image
with a new name when you are working with a new release.

I see Bob Arning's first comment below, I agree with that. The first thing
I do with a new image down load is unzip it and put the zip file in the new
folder. If I am downloading individual zipped artifacts I put the zipped
file in whatever folder I put it in.

My suggestion is to keep the AIO simple, for first time users. 1. A 32 bit
version that will run on most (all?) current, supported platforms. 2. A
readme.txt file with some notes about possible pit falls that might happen
(DANG! moments?) and how to recover 3. An in-image survey  that asks
questions about the users experience when saving/closing the image.

Do we have any idea about how many downloads are performed? Is it worth the
effort? Is the Squeak Beginners mailing list given prominent attention (do
we want to give it prominent attention or point them to one of the social
media sites for programmers (superuser stackoverflow ?). I forget sometimes
that we have millions of potential new users all over the planet that we
want to come play in our #World. Which point on the bell curve of potential
users do we want to aim for?

My concept for the AOI image is an easy to run multi-platform distribution,
for a first time user, with low to medium experience,  to expand their
experience with exposure to Smalltalk and provide them with a pathway to
the land of []. Once a new user is ready to worry about nuts and bolts of
doing actual, productive development using a standard installation (.image
.changes .sources and the right VM in a folder - Hi Edgar), they are ready
to do a clean install and start working with Squeak the way the Dogs
intended.

The people who are doing the heavy lifting can decide, however, I think
that there is more value in providing compelling content, stuff like: a
guided example of how to write a "Hello, World!" program 15 different ways,
how to download new projects (oh, OH, there are games out there!),
something from Fun Squeak every time they  launch a new session, or as
Easter Eggs as they explore the environment; just not every thing at once.

fwiw,

jrm