[squeak-dev] Usability issue with text decoration halo handles

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Mon May 21 19:13:53 UTC 2018

Hello,

After using the text emphasis halo handle (the orange one, next to
rightmost at the bottom) on a text morph to change the emphasis of
selected text, the emphasis selection dialog will appear again on
every click, albeit not clicking on the same handle again. In fact, it
does not matter where I click: even clicking the world invokes
chooseEmphasisOrAlignment on the text again.

A workaround is to use the Ctrl+. interrupt. After that, the halo can
be dismissed by clicking somewhere else.

The same issue also applies to the font style halo handle (the middle
one at the bottom), but not to the font size handle (next to leftmost
at the bottom). The issue does not show in my Squeak 5.1 image. There,
the halo vanishes after selecting the emphasis once.

You should be able to reproduce it in a Workspace. Shift+blue click on
the text should open the halo on the relevant text morph immediately.

Kind regards,
Jakob

PS. I wanted to use this to apply the struck-out emphasis. Its
keyboard shortcut is overridden by the global font size changing
actions. If you know another, easier way to strike out text, please
tell me. :-)