[squeak-dev] Class MethodProperties no longer in Squeak 6.0a // SmartRefStream initKnownRenames ?

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed May 23 09:47:55 UTC 2018

> On 23.05.2018, at 08:55, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [1] Attached is a screen shot of a search on the swiki
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/search?search=MethodProperties&casesensitive=false&and=true
> The search shows that the class MethodProperties was still in Squeak 5.1

No, Squeak 5.1 and 5.0 have only
	• MethodPropertiesTest
Which tests the behavior of things around CompiledMethod>>properties and AdditionalMethodState.

also you probably do not want to change the init method but rather implement the following:

SmartRefStream>>methodPropertiespps0

	^ AdditionalMethodState

This special method name allows the RefStream to identify the replacement Class for MethodProperties.

That being said, I do not thing that it is necessary to map incoming MethodProperties. They should rather be ignored and the corresponding _method_ should just be recompiled. That way it is assured that the correct AdditionalMethodState is created.
I looked in Squeak 3.9, and all MethodProperties that exists are either effectively empty or just replicate the primitive information, if any (except for two methods in Parser, but that is not useful here I think). I'd say its safe to ignore them on load (returning nil or something) and rather trigger a recompile afterwards.

Best regards
	-Tobias