[squeak-dev] All-In-One distribution (was: Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed May 30 12:54:36 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 07:22:28AM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:

> > On 30.05.2018, at 01:40, Edgar De Cleene <edgardec2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 29 May 2018, at 15:42, karl ramberg <karlramberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Making it easier to find and download new VM builds should be a priority.
> >> It's quite hard to find a recent VM following links from squeak.org
> >>
> > This scared beginners
> > All in one should have the most stable and recent
>
> Let's face it: the All-in-ones are dead.
> Apple makes it harder than ever and for linux we should have start building platform packages long ago.

This topic deserves a new subject line, and it would be great to get some
more input regarding who prefers using the All-In-One distribution for
regular use, versus other approaches for organizing their image and VM.

My personal view is that the All-In-One is a valuable enhancement to
the basic image and VM downloads. I do not think that it is practical
to maintain it as the primary release artifact, but I do think that we
should provide it, as best we can, in addition to the primary image and
VM release downloads.

Dave