[squeak-dev] All-In-One distribution (was: Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha)

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed May 30 14:59:20 UTC 2018

HI

> On 30.05.2018, at 15:30, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Chris Muller
>> Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 3:14 AM
>
>> AIO provides a compact example file of everything needed to deploy an application on each of the top platforms.  For no more than its instructional value, it is something worth keeping, IMO.
>

> The AIO _is_ the application. Good to run off a pen drive as well in a
> platform independent way.
>
> It does not need to be built regularily.
> Just for the release is fine.

But the AIO is impractical.
Eg, for OSX we _must_ force users now to _move_ the .app bundle before starting it the first time, else things just do not work. The only viable Way I see for that is building read-only disk images, so that people must move the app.

However, nobody else can use DMGs, so we have two things already:
 - ZIP
 - DMG

And now that snaps (https://snapcraft.io/) enter the stage for linux, we have at least to _consider_ that, too.

And when signing comes into play, this is getting too complex for me.

I completely the understand the desirability of a portable app, but given we;re not a near-stateless browser and given our "workforce", I don't see this happen reliably in the forthcoming time.

Best regards
	-Tobias