[squeak-dev] All-In-One distribution (was: Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha)

John Pfersich smalltalker2 at mac.com
Thu May 31 08:18:25 UTC 2018

Well, at least on Mac OS, the fact that Squeak doesn’t work right off the bat is probably a turnoff for most users, especially since there don’t seem to be any instructions on what to after you get this (I just tested this):

I mean, it's a 32 bit app (running on Mac OS 10.13.4) and you can't save the image. What good is it? It's worse than non-functional. It seems to me that a lot of people would just give up on it. I'm still running 4.6 because at least it works on Mac OS without having to screw around, trying to figure out what does work. And doing things not related to programming is what the small Squeak community obviously wants beginners to do. If Squeak was a so hard to use back in 2000, I would have abandoned it immediately.