[squeak-dev] [ANN] Guardians

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri Nov 9 11:27:05 UTC 2018

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 at 17:39, Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>
wrote:

>  > Some feedback on the gameplay.
>
> Nice!
>
>  >
>  > 1. After transfer to a robot the view direction is reversed so you are
>  > looking at the robot you just came from to make it quicker to absorb.
>  > But it doesn't reverse the height vector, so if you build a high tower
>  > of boulders, its annoying and time consuming to arrow down to view the
>  > previous robot.
>
> Yes, it is annoying. But this is part of the gameplay. Consider this: at
> times, what you want from a high-level position on a stack of boulders
> is a fast view on another high spot (such as, obviously, the sentinel).
> Once transferred, you just have to press the arrows or U (do not
> underestimate the importance of a fast u-turn) to get that. If you were
> looking down, it would be a problem.

Okay. I udnerstand.

Actually I've since discovered that I don't need to be look up directly at
the target robot,
I can keep looking at the base where I was looking when laying down the
first boulders.
With that its reasonable.

 > 5. A key to look directly at sentinels would be nice.
>  > After transferring to a new robot the first thing I want to do is check
>  > my visibility to the sentinel.
>  > If the transfer was steeply up/down it can be disorientating and time
>  > consuming to find the sentinel.
>
> This is definitely intended. Every action from the player has to be
> expensive to some extent. And no help for automatic orientation should
> be provided.

okay.

In short, I have attempted to recreate a game that I know well and that
> I played a lot in my youth. I believe I succeeded in the sense that the
> feeling and atmosphere I get from Guardians is very close to what I got
> from The Sentinel (with a different balance of features and performance
> though). So I would say give it a chance and let it grow on you. It is a
> very peculiar game.
>
> Now overall do you enjoy the game, or are those annoying parts actually,
> well, annoying?

By way of answer I'll just say that I've cracked level 400.
I'd say the most annoying thing about it is that is very distracting.
I did need a break from some heavy reading I'm doing, but not that much.

Well done with the game.
cheers -ben