[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Installer-Core-cmm.427.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 02:28:49 UTC 2018

Hi guys,

> On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 10:40:41PM +0100, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> > I presume you didn't see Installer-Core-dtl.426.mcz in the Inbox.

Yes, I did.  Since it had a "interim" version (dtl.425) as an
ancestor, I manually imported the metods of dtl.426, so it would be
reparented to the one in trunk.   (e.g., I clicked the Changes button
on dtl.426 and simply installed the methods manually, then saved
mine).

Dave wrote:

> Chris, wheever this is in a suitable state, I'll push it to trunk
> and move all the intermediate junk to treated inbox.

Thank you so much!

> It will be
> one update descended from Installer-Core-cmm.424. Please do let
> me keep my initials on it though.

Yes absolutely, no problem!  I definitely made sure to at least import
the _methods_ so they would retain your initials, but when I went to
save, using your initials on an entire MCVersion didn't feel right, so
opted not to.

> > Btw, before any of these now competing versions get pushed into the
> > Trunk, I'd like to see tests which document the expected behavior of these
> > methods.

Okay, but since this does have some urgency for Squeak 5.2 I did go
ahead and push cmm.427 to the /squeak52 repository (Dave, you are
welcome to replace it with your initials).

The method comment does explain the expected behavior pretty well
________
install: packageNameCollectionOrDetectBlock
    "The parameter specifies the package to be installed in one of the
following ways:
        - By Name e.g. install: 'Kernel'
        - Acceptable Versions e.g. install: #('Comet-lr' 'Comet-pmm')
i.e. either of these
        - Specific version e.g. install: 'Scriptaculous-lr.148'
        - By Predicate e.g. install: [ :packageName | packageName
beginsWith: 'Dynamic' ]"

    self addPackage: ...
_________

and so this makes me think that the case Dave ran into (that "30"
beginsWith: "3") was simply not considered when that implementation
was done way back in the day.  Just reading the old code, it "loooks
right", even though it's not.

 - Chris