[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-eem.1046.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 08:20:03 UTC 2018

Hi Chris,

> On Nov 10, 2018, at 3:05 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Eliot, sorry for my ignorance -- I'm trying to understand if we are
> headed for a compatibility glitch between older images and newer VM's,
> or between older VM's and newer images.

Only compatibility between older images and newer VMs matter.  One should not expect to be able to run a new image on an older VM (since a new image may depend on  a new feature absent in older VMs).  One should expect to be able to run any (compatible) older image on a newer VM.  I think there should be no compatibility glitch because by default the new VM maps mouse wheel events to ctrl+shift+option+meta+arrow key, which correctly scrolls and avoids confusion with ctrl-arrow.

> The old 5.0-201807260206 VM works fine even without any image changes.
> Is it possible to do the fix it solely in the VM?

But the old vm doesn’t respond to horizontal wheel events right?  Hence it dissent work just fine at all.