[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Collections-cbc.812.mcz

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 23:11:01 UTC 2018

> Chris,
> If/when we implement this, the idea is to rehash the collection using:
>     HashedCollection rehashAll
> Will this adverse affect your MagmaDictionary's?

No, but it won't help them at all, either.

Does anyone know if ReferenceStream automatially rehashes Dictionary's
and Sets when it materializes them?  If not, then the impact of
changing the hash calculation is much higher than if they do.

Magma does, so no action should be needed for regular Sets and Dictionary's.

> Or will those be handled some other way?

However, Magma has another special dictionary called a MagmaDictionary
which is designed to be larger than RAM.  It maintains a reference to
its 'session', which communicates with the server to access the large
dictionary contents straight from the disk.  If I have Intervals in
any of these, I'll have to manually plan to rebuild them from scratch
with a utility script(s), because they don't support rehashing the way
small, in-memory HashedCollections do.

 - Chris