[squeak-dev] [Test][Squeak5.2rc1][SqueakMap] FFI entry in SqueakMap catalog for 5.2?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Oct 13 23:01:15 UTC 2018

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 11:19:57PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:05:40PM +0200, H. Hirzel wrote:
> > Hi Chris
> >
> > On 10/12/18, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Hannes,
> > >
> > > I think you did not understand.  Just because you "tested it and it
> > > worked" TODAY does not mean that script will continue working forever.
> >
> > There is no such claim. The claim is just that it still works for 5.2.
>
> +1
>

> > > That's why we MUST NOT put a "Squeak 5.2" tag on it unless we make a
> > > separate Release with a script that uses explicitly-specified
> > > versions.
> >
> > > That's what we have now, I see no versions of "FFI" for 4.5, only
> > > (head), 3.10, and 3.9.  The last two were published by Andreas.
> >
> > And that contains
> >
> >      Installer new merge: #ffiTests'
> >
> > That means this script has been working since 3.9, i.e. for 10 years.
>
> +1
>
> We do need some way to deal with this use case.
>
> "Make another release of your package every time somebody in
> Squeak/Cuis/Pharo decides to announce a new release of their image"
> is not really a very good answer. It kind of works but ... yuk.
>
> In user story jargon:
>
>   As an external package maintainer, I want to declare that version
>   X of my package works with version Y of Squeak/Cuis/Pharo, so that
>   users of that Y can be reasonably confident that loading X into
>   Y will probably work.
>
> Simple. That's all I want.
>
> Please don't make me declare a bunch of different "releases" of X
> to keep track of all the Y's.

I have to apologize, I misread this thread, and what I said above is
nonsense with respect to the FFI package. Sorry for the distraction.

Chris is right that an explicitly-specified version is needed in this
case. The '(head)' release will continue to work as it has for many
years, but we need an explicitly-specified version in order to tag
something for Squeak 5.2.

Hannes is also right in terms of what he is trying to do - sometimes
you have a package that works, and you just want to say "it still works
for the new Squeak release". But in this case for FFI, the last
explicitly-specified release was the one for Squeak 3.10, and a lot
has changed since then. So I think we need to follow Chris' guidance
and make a new SqueakMap release for FFI with the configuration that
is currently known to work with Squeak 5.2.

To return to Hannes' original question (with my apologies once again
for having taking the discussion off track), what needs to be done?
We have existing FFI SqueakMap releases for '3.9', '3.10', and '(head)'.

It sounds like we need a new release called '5.2' with a load script
that looks similar to the load script for '3.10' but with package
versions that match what you get when you load '(head)'. That new
release should be tagged for Squeak5.2, and it should be "published"
from the http://map.squeak.org site. Does this sound right?

Dave