[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Graphics-pre.405.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Oct 18 00:18:20 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 03:50:54PM -0700, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 3:00 PM Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > the issue at stake here is the sanctity of the version history.
> > > It's untouchable. Think of it as immutable, append-only.
> >
> > Versions buried more than one or two deep are untouchable.  The top
> > version(s) are not.  Reverting to a prior version IS a use-case.
> > Deleting or moving a version IS a use-case.  There are UI commands to
> > do them.
> >

> Nope. Not in Trunk. Only trunk admins can move versions. Because it is a
> last-resort option when all else fails.

I agree. Manually rewriting the version history is sometimes needed in
extreme cases where the trunk update stream is broken. Aside from that,
it is usually a bad thing to do.

There may be differences of opinion here, but I think that we need to
clear on this as a matter of policy. In my view, the policy should be:

"Nothing should be deleted from trunk unless it is an emergency fix."

Thanks,
Dave