[squeak-dev] [ANN] UtCDateAndTime on SqueakMap for Squeak 5.2

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Oct 18 01:18:34 UTC 2018

I added a SqueakMap entry for UTCDateAndTime so that it can be easily loaded
in the new Squeak 5.2 release.

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6197

This project is a few years old now and I use it in my own images. There
is no easy way to uninstall it, so please back up your image before trying
it out.

My primary motivation for this was to make DateAndTime easier to understand
and easier to test. A happy side effect is that it is also substantially
faster on unix VMs, so I would be interested in hearing if it provides
similar improvement on Windows and OS X.

Some Chronology tests will fail. This is intentional, as I did not attempt
to make the tests green in cases where current behavior (or implementation
of the test itself) may be questionable.

After living with this for a couple of years, I think there may be a good
case for moving it to trunk. But there are potential side effects for
things like serializers (Fuel and Ma Serializer, SmartRefStream is already
handled) and databases (Magma, Glorp, others?). So feedback in any of
these areas would be welcome.

If no objections, I will plan to push this to trunk in the not too distant
future. Please yell at me if you think this is a bad idea.

Dave